Originally built as a schoolhouse, 334 East Westminster was converted into a residence after 1868 and moved from Walnut and Washington Strees to its present location in 1906. During its history, this Victorian Italianate home served as a doctor's office and as a stop on the Underground Railroad. The current owners purchased it in 2003 and undertook a complete rehabilitation of the building from foundation to rooftop. All original materials that could be saved were repaired and refurbished. Those materials that were beyond repair were meticulously replicated, often using old growth salvage wood, including 100-year-old Douglas fir for the joists and beams that needed to be replaced. This bottom to top rehabilitaion project created a jewel for all passersby to enjoy.
334 East Westminster
Year of award: