The new Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital that opened earlier this year is the most dramatic work of architecture ever built in Lake Forest, and the biggest campus or complex here ever as well. Its bold horizontal and circular statements and ideas integrated to its prairie and pond settings recall eclipsed, reshaped 1960s Perkins & Will buildings on the Lake Forest College campus and also the spiritual leap of the preserved aluminum-sheathed 1961 Woodlands Chapel. The new hospital’s red brick, cream-colored limestone, and glass walls echo the Deerpath Schools and the 1900 east Train station. It all they have created a 21stcentury hospital that only could be here, in Lake Forest. The architects have adapted to Lake Forest’s norms for height, creating a long, low, and curving plan that combines pleasing circulation with utility that will endure.
Year of award:
Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects