207 Maple Court

Year of award: 
2010
Award category: 
Rehabilitation
Year built: 
1910
Restoration architect: 
Raymond A. Shlaustas

Built a century ago in 1910, this was the gardener’s cottage originally for the estate of Henry Rumsey at 900 Illinois Road. The estate was subdivided and sold off in the 1950s. The eight-gabled cottage was moved 100 yards east to its current location at the northeast corner of the estate--a site approximately where the kitchen garden/orchard was situated. The current owners undertook a massive rehabilitation of the dwelling. The foundation was stabilized and previous north/south additions were removed or altered to fit more harmoniously with the wooded areas and the home’s proximity to the Mayflower ravine.