750 North Sheridan Road

Year of award: 
2014
Award category: 
Reconstruction
Original architect: 
Richard E. Schmidt
Year built: 
1910
Restoration architect: 
Melichar Architects

The property at 750 North Sheridan Road is owned by The First Presbyterian Church of Lake Forest and lies adjacent to the church property.  Originally constructed in 1910, the home and garage were designed by architect Richard E. Schmidt of the noted architectural firm Schmidt, Garden & Martin.  Confronted with a dilapidated garage that posed safety hazards, the Church hired Melichar Architects to rebuild the detached structure. Original windows were reused where possible.  The stucco walls with articulation above the garage doors, the false-thatch wood shingle roof, and eave were all reconstruction to replicate the original design.