Train Station Interior Renovation Update

       By continuing to strengthen our public-private partnership with the Lake Forest community and The City of Lake Forest, we are pleased to report significant progress toward bringing restoration of the Station interior to reality. While the City continues its work on restroom and life-safety improvements, the Foundation is concentrating on the waiting room and ticket area. Our goal is coming into sight.

We’re particularly grateful for a recent $10,000 boost provided by the North Shore Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, plus a $10,000 donation made by a generous Lake Forest resident, which helped put our goal within $50,000 of what is needed to complete our phase of the interior with historically-accurate improvements. These donations, added to the Foundation’s $25,000 match, proceeds of 2016 Annual Fund, and other community support, will help ensure the upcoming installation of a terra cotta waiting-room floor similar to the original 1900 flooring, which lasted for nearly 100 years.

The total raised so far also provides a start on funding restoration of the waiting room’s recently-discovered horizontal plank wainscoting and the plaster walls above it. In order to complete the wainscoting-walls project, restoration of the waiting room benches, and re-creation of the Station’s original gas-electric power fixtures, an additional $50,000 is required. Donations of every size are welcome, and every donation will make a difference in completing this project “the right way” for future generations.

Please stop by the Station and take a look at ongoing work and historic discoveries recently made. Then decide how you can help. You can make a tax-deductible contribution by using the button Paypal under Support Us - Station Bound or by contacting the LFPF office at 847-234-1230 or info@lfpf.org . Checks should be sent to the Foundation, 400 East Illinois Road, Lake Forest, IL  60045.

****************************

The 1899 Tudor-Revival station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing structure in the Lake Forest National Register District. It was designed by renowned Chicago architects and Lake Forest residents Charles Sumner Frost and Alfred H. Granger. The building and site serve as the transportation hub for Lake Forest and a “focal point” in the Market Square Historic District. The building, site, and parking lots function as an active METRA station, and serve as an important trailhead facility and comfort station for the Robert McClory regional bike trail linking North Shore communities with Chicago and the region. They are the focal point for community events, including the annual Lake Forest Day parade/celebration, Tree Lighting Ceremony, and Family Fair in Market Square, and recently the 150th Anniversary celebrations of Lake Forest’s founding.