Western Avenue

Year of award: 
2002
Award category: 
Adaptive Re-use
Original architect: 
David Adler
Year built: 
1934

This property, facing Western Avenue, was originally the south gate house and coach house for the estate of Mrs. J. Ogden Armour on Green Bay Road, which was subdivided in the 1960s.  When the current owners purchased the buildings in 1995, the structures had been connected with a 12 x 45 foot glass-enclosed room.  Their challenge was to achieve their lifestyle objectives while making a smooth transition from the beautifully-scaled small cottage to the very large open space of the five-car limousine garage. They divided the open space into three appropriately-scaled rooms, copied a bay window from David Adler's own residence in Libertyville and the original pine moldings and crown moldings of the cottage, replaced the glass walls with traditional double-hung windows and paneled doors, and restored the cupola of the original garage.