100 East Old Mill Road

Year of award: 
2002
Award category: 
Adaptive Re-use
Original architect: 
Edwin Hill Clark
Year built: 
1914
Restoration architect: 
Charles P. Reisterer

What is now known as the Grove Cultural Campus began in 1914 as the Ridge Farm Preventorium, a facility to treat pre-tubercular children.  Dickinson Hall was built as part of an expansion begun in 1929. The City of Lake Forest purchased the property in 1998 after several other owners and uses of the site.  Dickinson Hall was designated as the home of the Lake Forest-Lake Bluff Senior Center. Renovation included restoration of historical features, demolition of a 1970's east addition and replacing it with a new, ADA-accessible entrance incorporating features of Clark's original north and south entries.  In addition to interior renovation, a new slate roof was installed, the gutters and downspouts were replaced, and the original windows were removed, restored, and reinstalled.  The brick on the new addition was closely matched to the original, and Vermont slate was carefully chosen to reflect Clark's 1930 building.