1260 North Green Bay Road

Year of award: 
2006
Award category: 
Rehabilitation
Original architect: 
Howard Van Doren Shaw
Restoration architect: 
David Woodhouse

The Ragdale Barnhouse was designed by Howard Van Doren Shaw in 1897 as part of the Ragdale summer retreat for the Shaw family. The barn house buildings served to house the farm animals and equipment used on the property.  The barn house buildings were converted into a residence in 1939 by Shaw's son-in-law John Lord King and underwent further renovations in 1950.  The Ragdale Foundation undertook the current rehabilitation project in 2004-2005. A 1950's cement-block garage was demolished to make way for the ADA accessible live-in studio.  The damaged sections of the building were rebuilt using historically accurate materials, returning the facade to Shaw's original design.