Widower James Dickinson built a home for his new bride, Sarah, on East Westminster property that had been deeded to Mrs. Dickinson by her wealthy employers. A 1925 telephone book identifies James Dickinson as a carpenter working at Lake Forest College and Sarah Dickinson as a laundress working at a home on Mayflower Road.
The current owners have spent five years restoring the exterior of the simple cedar clapboard house to its original style as an in-town house typical of the turn-of-the-century downtown Lake Forest streetscape. Their work included uncovering the original clapboard and fishscale shingles of which 10% had to be replaced. Their project also included restoring the original open front porch of the house with dentil and scroll trim and repainting the building with authentic colors of the period. One surprise in the project was the uncovering of old lumber marked "James Dickinson, Order #38465, Lake Forest Lumber Company, Inc. 10/8/97."