2 North Ahwahnee Road

Year of award: 
2008
Award category: 
Preservation
Original architect: 
Schmidt, Garden, and Martin
Year built: 
1914

In 1912,  9 ½ acres of the former Louis F. Swift 1500 acre estate were sold  to Harold J. Bryant, a member of the new Onwentsia Club.   He married Elizabeth Parker in 1913 who was the sister of A. Watson Armour’s wife.  In 1914, the Bryants retained Schmidt, Garden and Martin to design and build this Prairie School  residence. In 1924, they sold it to a prominent Chicago attorney who lived there through the mid-1950s.  In 2004, the current owners purchased the property and returned it to the original design  by  retaining the original gardens and adding complimentary landscape additions.