20 West Westminster

Year of award: 
2004
Award category: 
Heritage Award
Original architect: 
Howard Van Doren Shaw
Year built: 
1911-1912
Restoration architect: 
Geudtner & Melichar Architects

When the Brewster estate was subdivided, the manor house was left without a garage, as was often typical in the pre-World War II era.  The two coach houses of the estate were separated from the main house and retained the original entry from Green Bay Road.  In the 1940s, a flat-roofed, three-car garage was added to the main house as a strictly utilitarian structure.  In 2003, a new garage ensemble with motor court was designed to complement the original residence without mimicking it. The brick of the old garage additon was stained to match the existing house.  Both garages were given new slate hipped roofs; roof brackets and trim were scaled down; and similar trim and moulding profiles were created.