220 East Deerpath Road

Year of award: 
1997
Award category: 
Renovation
Original architect: 
Charles S. Frost and Alfred Granger
Year built: 
1898
Restoration architect: 
David Woodhouse

The City of Lake Forest was cited for major renovation of the building as undertaken by architect David Woodhouse.  The English Tudor building combines the character of a public building with that of a domestic building, originally to be compatible with surrounding turn-of-the-century homes.  The renovation incorporated requirements for improving accessibility and for maximized use of City hall for public meetings and administrative functions.  The grounds were enhanced to seamlessly incorporate the required ADA access and invite greater public use.  The City Hall renovation project also recently received a Design Excellence Award from the Chicago Chapter of the AIA and a Richard H. Driehaus Award from the Landmarks Preservation Council.