275 North Mayflower Road

Year of award: 
2005
Award category: 
Rehabilitation
Year built: 
1882
Restoration architect: 
The Poulton Group

The original section of this home first owned by Robert Hall McCormick was constructed as a gatehouse to a planned estate house, which was never built.  The exterior walls are composed of stones gathered from the beach below the property and embedded into stucco walls in a mosaic design.  Interestingly, bottle glass and even whole bottles have been worked into these mosaics.  As part of the rehabilitation efforts, incompatible additions were replaced by compatible ones in 1992 and 2000.