This 1907 house was possibly owned originally by the Fitzgerald family and has undergone a compatible transition from a vernacular Prairie-style building of stucco and shingle to one that is now entirely shingled and remodeled. The house probably was originally stuccoed except for the gable ends and dormers, which were shingled. The renovation retained the forms of the original house with shingles added to the walls and beadboard to the soffits, all to match the porch ceiling, which is original. The porch columns, which now sit on box bases connected by railings, used to sit on a solid stucco and brick wall. Other new construction included a one-and-a- half story addition and new windows and trim. Though the exterior appeanance of the house has been altered, much effort was made to make the house look ninety years old and to be compatible with its neighborhood close to downtown Lake Forest.
338 East Westminster Road
Year of award: