425 North Sheridan Road

Year of award: 
2004
Award category: 
Adaptive Re-Use
Original architect: 
John W. McKecknie
Year built: 
1910

White Oaks was located at 400 North Sheridan Road and built originally for Robert J. Thorne, president of Montgomery Ward.  The manor house was demolished years ago.  This gate house is all that remains of the estate designed by John W. McKecknie, a Kansas City pioneer in building materials and an early experimenter with reinforced concrete.  Thanks to the strength of his materials, many of his buldings are still standing today more than 100 years later.  The gate house survives as an outstanding example of adaptive re-use of an estate out-building that today serves for contemporary living.