The original owners were Mr. and Mrs. Van Alling who had purchased property on North Washington Road at 450 (1903), and built homes at 410 (1912, rebuilt in 1934 after a fire), 464 (1916), 420, 430 (early 1920s), and 460 on that land, later known as "Brownsville." With the exception of 434 and 410, the houses were rented during the summers and later, year round. The current owners are the first owner-occupants.
A complete renovation was undertaken in the exterior and interior, which also included enclosing a previously added covered porch and building a small second floor additon over the porch. Rehabilitation work included removal of sliding aluminum storm/screen combinations and fashioning new wood storms and screens custom made to match the originals. The entire exterior and wood trim on the interior were stripped of paint and repainted. The asphalt roof was replaced with cedar. Custom single-pane divided light windows in the addition were made to match the originals with wooden storms and screens. An unfinished attic was remodeled matching the original construction. All in all, the owners remained sensitive to the original architecture and materials.