700 Sheridan Road

Year of award: 
2003
Award category: 
Heritage
Original architect: 
Charles Sumner Frost
Year built: 
1887

Charles Sumner Frost not only designed the First Presbyterian Church of Lake Forest, with Alfred Granger he also designed the Lake Forest City Hall, the Market Square train station, and several buildings at Lake Forest College, among others.  The church incorporates the spotted stones from the Second Prebyterian Church of Chicago, which had been moved to Lake Forest following the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.  The church's original shingle-style building has undergone many changes over the past century.