Known also as The Alfred Granger House, Woodleigh is listed on the National Register of Historic Places anad located within the Lake Forest Residential Historic Preservation and Open Space District. It was built prior to 1897 either as a home for Lake Forest architect and alderman Alfred Granger, or for his father-in-law Marvin Hughitt, president and chairman of the North Western Railway Company. Granger, a native of Ohio, collaborated with Charles Sumner Frost in partnership from 1898 until about 1911. His independent work included the Church of the Holy Spirit in Lake Forest (1910), as well as buildings for the University of Illinois, Kenyon College, the University of Indiana, and the Chicago Club.
Designed in the half-timbered English style, Woodleigh was termed "an interesting and quaint looking dwelling" in an 1897 issue of House Beautiful. It is constructed of reddish-brown paving bricks and includes plaster in the upper stories and well-detailed timber work in the eaves and gables. The present owners and their architect researched many details of the home, including original trim color. Every attempt was made to match the original appearance of the house. An asphalt shingle roof was removed and sawn cedar shingles were installed as per the original. The 1970s flat-roofed garage was redesigned and built in the style of the original residence, then connected with a breezeway.