Built in 1910, the Italianate St. Patrick's Church is the fourth home of the second oldest church in the Chicago Archdiocese and one of the oldest in Illinois. The community represented by St. Patrick's parish is the oldest continuous organization in Lake Forest, dating to the mid-1830s. The parish was organized by Irish Catholic pioneers in Deerfield Township. Many of these settlers, who had come to work on the Illinois-Michigan Canal, settled in the area of Waukegan Road, which was called The Corduroy Road and was the initial site of Green Bay Road. Their first church was called St. Michael's and was located on the west side of Waukegan Road on land donated by Lake Forest pioneer Michael Yore. The church was officially organized as St. Patrick's in 1844.
The original log church was moved to a site near Everett School amd later, in 1853, a new brick church was built on the east side of Waukegan Road near Mellody Road. The old log church became a school, which operated until 1905. In July 1895, lightning struck the brick church, and it was totally destroyed. The present building replaced that church.
The 1910 church and rectory were extensively and carefully restored in 1986 to closely resemble their original exterior appearance. Many interior improvements also were made to update facilities for St. Patrick's growing parish. Included among the aesthetic changes were new Stations of the Cross, commissioned and executed by noted Lake Forest artist Franklin McMahon. St. Patrick's Church and rectory will remain among Lake Forest's most significant structures because of these efforts.