Dating from the mid 19th Century, this log house may have served as an early school or church. From around 1910 on, it was located at 297 Mills Court, hidden beneath clapboard siding, perhaps two coverings from the 1850s and the 1910s. Multiple reports, including that of Foundation member Shirley M. Paddock who knew the long-time owner who had moved it to Mills Court, placed its origins west of the railroad tracks. Rescued from demolition, the cabin has been restored by noted preservationist and owner of Crab Tree Farm John Bryan and his team of conservationists. It is located in a section of Crab Tree Farm that is amazingly rural in character and noted for being the last lakefront working farm in Illinois.
Crab Tree Farm
Year of award: