700 North Sheridan Road (First Presbyterian Church)

Year of award: 
2007
Award category: 
Rehabilitation
Original architect: 
Cobb & Frost
Year built: 
1886
Restoration architect: 
Guedtner and Melichar Architects

The First Presbyterian Church is a prime example of the Shingle Style.  Although the original structure has been renovated, altered, and expanded several times, Guedtner and Melichar Architects reestablished a heirarchy of entry doors, which were designed to face east toward the college, by enhancing the narthex entry doors and subordinating the southern entries at the tower and south parlor wing.  Together these alterations bring back, to the extent possible, the original design intent of the building by having a solid stone building base, punctuated by recessed entries.