Patterson Lodge at Lake Forest College - North Sheridan Road

Year of award: 
1995
Award category: 
Preservation
Year built: 
1879

Patterson Lodge is the second oldest building on campus and was the home of Reverend Robert W. Patterson, the first president of the College.  The bricks used to build the lodge were made from clay dug from a pit under the women's hockey field.  In the 1920s, it served as a residence for women, and in the 1960s, it became the home of the Admissions Department.  During the 1993 renovation, the College not only brought the building modern conveniences and up to current codes and ADA regulations, but it also used historical photographs as the basis for restoring the original porch.  The additions of the required new ramp and railings were sensitive to the architecture.  This project received compliments from the City's Building Review Board during its review.  The Foundation commends the College for the care of its buildings that are so much a part of the history of Lake Forst itself.