1035 N. Sheridan Road

Year of award: 
2019
Award category: 
Heritage
Original architect: 
John Todd Hetherington
Year built: 
1894

This house was built for Mayor Edward F. Gorton, 1896-1902, for whom Gorton Center, formerly Gorton School, is named. Its Heritage Award reflects its many exterior changes over its 125-year history, while preserving its overall character. When the Gortons moved to Geneva, Illinois, in 1907 it was acquired by contractor James O. Heyworth, and then was lived in by his son and his family until World War II. The current owner has maintained and adapted the house for modern living. The pool was the first one locally.