The original Meadow Studio was designed and built in 1943 by architect John Lord King for Sylvia Shaw Judson, daughter of Howard Van Doren Shaw. The structure served as a sculpture studio for Ms. Judson for 35 years. Upon her death in 1976, ownership was transferred to Alice Ryerson Hayes and later the Ragdale Foundation. Mounting structural and maintenance problems dictated demolishing the original studio in favor of a replacement facility. The new studio, a collaborative effort between the Foundation and IIT architectural students, sits atop the footprint of the original studio. Windows and a skylight create a form similar to the original. Natural cedar was used, which when weathered, will blend into its prairie surroundings.
1230 North Green Bay Road
Year of award:
IIT Associate Professor Frank Flury and a team of IIT architecture students