255 East Foster Place

Year of award: 
Award category: 
Original architect: 
Howard Van Doren Shaw
Year built: 
Restoration architect: 
Stanley D. Anderson and William Bergmann

This Heritage designation by LFPF recognizes this year the 1916 Howard Van Doren Shaw “entertainment” wing added to the 1899 Louis F. Swift summer place designed by William Carbys Zimmerman and razed in the 1950s. The demolition of the 1899 house and the adaptive reuse of the Shaw-designed wing was accomplished by local architect Stanley D. Anderson.  The current owners, the second generation of second owners, have kept the house and 1950s reduced grounds in stable condition, paying forward one of the Green Bay Road Historic District’s most illustrious Country Place Era estate residences.