644 East Deerpath Road

Year of award: 
2011
Award category: 
Preservation - Founders Award
Original architect: 
Rufus Rose
Year built: 
1860

 

FOREST LAWN (1860)
 
Built for Mary A. and David J. Lake
Current Owners: Wesley and Deborah Clark
This house originally had informal Italianate characteristics similar to the Harvey Thompson residence. According to Kim Coventry
and her co-authors in 2003, it was “an irregular wood-framed
villa designed by pioneer Chicago architect Rufus Rose in the
mode of Andrew Jackson Downing, distinguished by an interplay
between a large gabled hexagonal bay on the west side and a hexagonal
campanile on the east. Elements of the Lake house recalled several
stylish Newport, Rhode Island houses of the previous decades
including that of Chicago Judge Hugh T. Dickey…On its west
façade, the Lake mansion featured the ample verandah typical of
mid-nineteenth century American houses. Raised above ground
level, tall windows drew light and air into high-ceilinged rooms and
emphasized the relationship between exterior and interior.” vii
David J. Lake (born 1823, Mt. Morris, New York) was a realtor
and, according to the 1880 Census, a “commission merchant.” He
was secretary of the Lake Forest Association, one of the founders of
the City, and the third Mayor of Lake Forest, from 1866-1867. He
and his wife, Mary, had seven children: Wells C., Edgar J., Mary,
Ruth, Julia, Fanny, and Daisey.
In 1927, the original tower was removed and the exterior was
modernized with a coat of stucco. Other alterations include the
change in projection toward a new front, new surrounds on the doors
and windows, and the addition of a small porch next to the two-story
polygonal projection. In 1976, the coach house was converted to a
residence.