910 North Green Bay Road

Year of award: 
Award category: 
Original architect: 
Richard E. Schmidt, Garden & Martin
Year built: 
Restoration architect: 
John Krasnodebski, Landmark Development

~~The stately Tudor Revival manor house was built in 1911 for Charles F. Paxton, who played polo at the Onwentsia Club from 1912-1914, by the noted architectural firm of Richard E. Schmidt, Garden & Martin. The property was created in 1910 as Lot 3 of the Atteridge subdivision and was originally 4.6 acres. The house has many characteristics of the Tudor style including the multi-vent chimneys and the gabled roof. The original landscape was designed by Jens Jensen in 1912. It was the home of Inez Boyton and James Henderson Douglas, President of Quaker Oats (1858-1930) and over time many changes and additions were made to the home.  The manor house has been completely renovated and repaired with partial demolition of non-historic additions which included a pool and family room that detracted from the integrity of the original design.  The renovation is in keeping with the manor home’s designation as a Contributing Structure to the Green Bay Road Historic District