Wilson Lodge, Knollwood Club

Year of award: 
2020
Award category: 
Infill
Original architect: 
Howard Van Doren Shaw
Year built: 
1925
Restoration architect: 
Witmer and Associates 2018

This new paddle hut by local architect Peter Witmer is a compatible addition to the cluster of historic and New Classicist Knollwood Club structures, dating back to Howard Van Doren Shaw’s original clubhouse and later locker room.  The 1925-organized club has an eighteen-hole golf course originally laid out by C.H. Alison and H.S. Colt, with its surrounding neighborhood by planner Edward H. Bennett.  The neighborhood includes outstanding residences on over two-acre plots by distinguished architects (e.g., Zimmerman Saxe & Zimmerman and Walcott & Work) and landscape architects (C. G. Wagstaff and Ralph R. Root). This new structure sympathetically adapts to the almost century-old heritage of this remarkable club and its distinguished enclave.